Sunday, October 13, 2013

Paint Chip Crafts

I've spent part of my weekend crafting with some of the paint chips I got the other day. So far, I've tried 3 different things:
1. Coasters- I found coasters on clearance at Walmart the other day for 30 cents a pack, so I got the last 2 they had (1 pack of 6 and 1 pack of 12). For each coaster (I used the 12 pack), I took 1 long paint chip and lined it up with the side of the coaster (it covered just over half of it) and then cut accordingly. I then used the remainder of the same paint chip to cover the rest of the coaster. I found a thin coat of Mod Podge to work better than glue when sticking the paint chips to the coaster. I then covered each coaster with another thin layer of Mod Podge, just to make it a little sturdier.
2. Key collage- I took all the shades of purple of the largest paint chips and used a die-cut machine to make them into keys. My school library has a room with die-cut machines and tons of cartridges, so I spent some time in there deciding what shape I wanted and then cutting them out. I then took them back to my dorm and used Mod Podge to stick them to a poster board (again, the Mod Podge just worked better than the glue). I trimmed the poster board down so that the keys could be overlapping, but still a little spread out.
3. Magnets- I used the 6 pack of coasters I mentioned earlier and covered them with the rectangular paint chips. Since the coasters and paint chips weren't the same size, I had to cut the paint chip and attach it to the coaster in 2 different pieces. I used Mod Podge again for the paint chips, and then I put a layer of it over top of the pictures/words I put on the magnets. I decorated them a couple different ways. For one of them, I took a bunch of inspirational/motivational words I had cut from a magazine on it. For another, I cut random things out of a catalog. Then I started printing off pictures for the remaining ones. One of the magnets has one of my favorite pictures of me and my friends from high school. The next one has a collage I printed off of photos of myself and my cardboard cutout of my favorite One Direction member, Niall (because normal people have cardboard cutouts they take everywhere with them). Another has a photo collage of Niall and the last one has a picture of One Direction. After I put all the decorations on them, I just attached an adhesive magnet strip to the back of each one.
All of these are super simple and extremely inexpensive, especially since paint chips are free, and have endless variations.

No comments:

Post a Comment