Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Hot Chocolate and a Heart-to-Heart

I have consumed way too much hot chocolate this week. Mostly because I love it, but also because I think hot chocolate has the power to make people happy (or I could be crazy, but that's another story).

Our apartment has been rather emotional the past few weeks. One of my closest friends has been a little off lately, and I could tell she wasn't having the best day today, so after our last class I suggested we make some hot chocolate and have a nice discussion. And I honestly think the hot chocolate helped.

The most awkward part of our talk was before it even started. We were making our hot chocolate, and kind of setting up the discussion, when one of our apartment mates walked in with a guy and just stood in the living room. They're always awkward when they come in, but it was even more awkward because nobody wants to have any sort of emotional discussion when people you barely know are staring at you. Thankfully, they left after a few minutes and we were able to continue our discussion.

I'm normally extremely awkward when it comes to comforting people and dealing with their feelings, so I think the hot chocolate was helpful because anytime I didn't know how to respond, I could just casually take a sip of it while I thought about what to say. So the hot chocolate was like my awkward-buffer. But I also think it helped to comfort my friend. I mean, how can you be sad when you're drinking hot chocolate, especially when it's in a Disney mug?

Through our talk, we were able to establish and try to work through a lot of the problems she's facing. I think it's always hard to start conversations like that, especially when you're the one who's going through stuff and you may not necessarily want to talk about it. But I think those conversations are extremely important to have, because they help us to vent and try to come up with solutions, while also bringing us closer to our friends. Plus, hot chocolate definitely helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment