Saturday, August 2, 2014

DIY Laptop Sleeve

The other day, I finally decided to start going through my stuff and deciding what I still need to but for the new school year. I quickly realized I would need a laptop case. The backpack I carried this past year had a built in case, but I don't really like that backpack anymore, and the one I want doesn't have a built in case. The only problem is, laptop cases and sleeves can get pretty expensive. So I decided I would try and make my own, and I am so happy I did. It turned out pretty well, especially for someone who doesn't really sew, plus it was super simple and cost less than $3 to make (I only spent $8.84 on all the fabric and fleece and I have enough left over to make two more, so it cost about $2.95).




Supplies I used:
Fabric (I got 1 yard, but only used about 1/3 of it)
Fleece (I got 2 yards so I could double it and I still have a bunch left over)
Scissors
Measuring tape
Pencil
Ruler/yard stick
Sewing machine

Step 1: I measured my laptop by wrapping the measuring tape all the way around the laptop, and then diving the measurements in half (that way I had the length plus the height and the width plus the height). My laptop measured 31" x 25.25", so when divided in half it was 15.5" x 12.625". I then realized I didn't need the width because I could just use the strip of fabric after I cut it to the right length to make the flap and then cut off the little amount of excess fabric. So I took the length measurement and added 2.5", making it 18", so I would have enough extra to work with.

Step 2: I turned the fabric sideways so the pattern on it would go the direction I wanted and then measured with the yard stick 18" in and then drew a line with the pencil to make sure it would be straight. I then cut out the fabric, ending with a strip of fabric 18" x 36" (Since it was sideways, I used the whole yard length for folding over to make the case and flap).

Step 3: I repeated step 2 with the fleece, which I also turned sideways so I could just fold over the two yards into one yard since I wanted to double the fleece.

Step 4: I folded the fleece in half so that it was the same length as the fabric and laid it out flat. I then laid the fabric on top of it, with the right side facing up, this was I could see the stitches since I was using white thread and those sides were going to be flipped over when I did the final sewing.

Step 5: I sewed all the way around twice, just to make sure the fleece was attached really well to the fabric. Then, I cut off all the extra bulkiness left over from sewing the fabric and fleece together.

Step 6: I flipped up the amount needed for the pocket, with the right side of the fabric facing inward. For this, I just put my laptop on top of it and added an extra 1.5"-2". Just eyeball it and so it has enough room to store your laptop, but enough extra wiggle room and room for sewing the top border when you're done. Make sure you leave the rest of it for the flap.

Step 7: I sewed the two sides of the pocket. The bottom doesn't need sewn because it's just folded over and the top part will be done separately.

Step 8: I flipped it right side out and folded over the top side of the pocket and sewed it over a little so it would be a straight edge.



Step 9: I folded over the three sides of the flap and sewed them.

Step 10: I cut off all extra bulk from the fleece and fabric so it was nice and neat looking.





I'm really happy with you it turned out and it will definitely serve it's purpose. And it was definitely worth it to spend an hour or two making it as opposed to buying one for ten times the price.

1 comment: