Wednesday, July 16, 2014

DIY The Walking Dead Picture Candle Holders

My mom's birthday was a few days ago and I was trying to think of something to make that I could put in the gift basket I was putting together for her. My mom is an extremely difficult person to shop for, so I knew it was going to be hard to think of something. Then I realized that she would love anything that had to do with the Walking Dead (she is absolutely obsessed). But then I had to figure out what exactly to make that was Walking Dead themed that would turn out looking okay, so I went through what I had gotten for future crafting purposes from yard sales and clearance shelves, and found some glass tumblers and LED tea lights, so I decided I would attempt to make Walking Dead candle holders. They're super easy to make and you can make your own by following the instructions I've listed below. Obviously, you can use pictures of anything you want if you don't need zombie candle holders.

1. Gather a glass tumbler, Mod Podge, and a paintbrush.
2. Measure the glass tumbler's height and circumference.
3. Pick out which picture(s) you want to use (one of the holders I made was one picture on one side and a different picture on the other side and the other holder was just one long picture)
4. Crop the picture to fit the height and circumference of the tumbler, then print it and cut it out.
5. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the back of your picture.
6. Carefully align the picture how you want it and press it onto the tumbler.
7. Coat the entire picture in Mod Podge.
8. After it dries, you can either use a candle or do what I did and use a little LED tea light to put inside of the tumbler to create the glowing effect.

The only thing that was a little difficult was that the bottom half of the tumblers were paneled, so the longer picture got a little messed up because of the way it had to go around the panels. If I make these again, I'll make sure to use flat tumblers instead of the paneled ones, so I would encourage you to use flat ones as well. Other than that, they look really good. I printed the pictures in black and white to give it even more of a creepy vibe and I really like the effect the light creates. I'm really happy with how they turned out and my mom absolutely loved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment